Thursday, December 31, 2009

Been There, Done That

According to the calender, the 09 year has come to the end. With the changing of the year many people (including myself) look back over the past and try to determine if it was a good year or a bad one. Speaking for myself, the 09 year was by far the BEST year of my life! -never before have I said that-

The 09 year was filled with God's Mercies and Wonders. Looking back over the year(s) I can finally say "God is Good"! Peace, serenity and love for others is the "nut shell" of blessings I experienced in the previous year. Jeff Morgan came ALIVE and The Word of God became real for the first time. My journey began. And now continues.

There was so many moments this year I could write about. Moments when I saw and witnessed The Holy Spirit work in ways.........that I would never thought possible. The birth of my son Cael Daniel was no doubt one of the highlights. That day will forever be a day that changed my life. If you are interested in the details of that day, please read Lisa's (my wife's) personal "blog" at http://mommysmumblings.blogspot.com/2009/11/beyond-petty-day-to-day-things-of-life.html .

In the week prior to Cael's arrival my dad was told he had cancer. On the day he was hospitalized, God poured His Spirit on me. Long story shortened, while the doctor was cutting and removing the cancer tumors out of dad, The Holy Spirit showed up. While I was in the waiting room a older gentleman was nervously awaiting his doctor's appointment. At first I just listened to a conversation this man (Larry) was having with a little old lady. I could tell he didn't want to be there but he was trying to make the best of it. When the lady left the waiting room I introduced myself, told him what was happening with my dad. Larry seemed quite shaken to the point he teared up and told me his story.

Larry lost a grand daughter in a car accident 2 year ago. She was not yet a teenager and in tears this man admitted the "unforgiven" in his heart for the man responsible for the accident. Sadly, the man who he said was the "blame" was his grand daughter's other grandpa. Whoa! He went on sharing with me like we knew each other for years. More unresolved guilt and sins were admitted as we continued. Through this, I felt and saw a change in him and me! The nurse came in to tell me dad was out of recovery but I closed the door on her (nicely) for a moment. In that moment, a OVERWHELMING spirit of either courage or ???????....... came over me. Larry was standing there and we embraced. I looked him in the eye and told him there is a God who loved him. I told him no matter what he (and I) had done in the past, this God I know is a God of redemption and forgiveness. He prayed and asked JESUS for salvation!!! By this time the nurse was wanting my attention and had reopened the door. Two nurses saw this man praying and weeping in joy. Lord, Thank You for that day!

The very next day in the Oskaloosa Hospital parking lot something else as powerful happened. Another man was healed in a way I can't explain. In fact, I will not even try. It was one of those moments I believe that is meant to remain secert. There is a fine-line between boasting self and glorifying The Real Reason for that man's healing. Again, Thank You Jesus!

During the 09 year God gave me a new heart. A new love for people maybe better said. This new ability to love my brother and sister was induced by fasting and praying for 21 days. My pastor invited the congregation to engage in a 21 fast while teaching from the book of Daniel. The idea challenged me at the core. So, under a strong conviction I set out on the 21 day journey. I had NO idea what God was up to. Again, if interested, I documented the journey day by day. (The details are archived in the month of June.)

Love. Love. Love The Lord God with all your heart, mind and soul. Love your brother as well and do so in the way you love yourself. This is what Jesus said was the greatest of all commandments. Love.

It took me 40 years to finally figure out what He meant. This year I had to learn the hardest part of the equation by coming to terms with self forgiveness. The "as you love yourself" part of Jesus' command was not easy for me. Without self love and forgiveness in the heart there can be no room for His Holy Spirit. The cycle is broken. True love can not really be given or received without self love. Please don't mistake self love for pride or selfishness. Self love is just the freeing of one's own free will in order to be finally united with The Love of God, Jesus.

Lord God I pray for all who needs Your Perfect Love. We all need it! I also pray that men and women free their hearts. Freedom to love others in the way You intended.

Awaiting Your Glorious Return,

No comments:

Post a Comment